So technically it's been two days since I left, and they've been an exhausting two days. Left at 5:30am, took a 14 hour flight, then spent the rest of the time running around between trains and finally getting to Kyoto at about 9:30 Japan time. Fortunately, there were no snakes on the plane.
Japan is pretty interesting, the little I've seen of it (we've spent almost all our time indoors/in vehicles). Kind of forest-y like New England, but with different-looking trees and stuff. They also have a lot of houses that are designed like the old temples and castles, with the distinct roof and all.
The first thing I bought was a Pepsi, which came in a strange bottle-like can. If they had Pepsi in World of Warcraft, that's what it would look like.
It's weird not being able to understand most of the writing here. The computer keyboard is a pain to use, too (we don't have wireless so I'm using a hotel computer). Hotel room is kind of small, but at least I'll have a bed to sleep in.
That's really about it for what I've done so far. Tomorrow's when the real fun begins.